Location: OHRID, Macedonia
Director: Zoran Strezovski and WOFA
Application Deadline: 30 March, 2019
I N V I T A T I O N
With pleasure we INVITE you (Children, Youth and Adults groups) to participate on XI International folk – dance festival “MACEDONIAN SUN OF ALEXANDER” 18 - 22 July Ohrid 2019
The Festival light motive is to present the cultural tradition of different countries and regions, and to provide an opportunity for the members of groups to get together and create friendships and culture presentation trough dance and music.
Ohrid City – a mixture of rich history and modern life......
Ohrid is an immortal town on the mythical Balkan, a magical hill of Macedonia whose primordial pulsation links ancient and modern times forever... Ohrid has been a living town for 2400 years, notable for having 365 churches, one for each day of the year, and is referred to as the Macedonian Jerusalem. Archaeological finds indicate that Ohrid is one of the oldest human settlements in all of Europe. The lake itself is over three million years old. Ohrid in the past was known as Lychnidos - or, “the city of light.” Only much later, in 879 CE, was it renamed Ohrid. The name probably derives from the phrase “Oh-rid” – meaning roughly, “Oh, what a cliff!” It comes from the time when the town was limited in a small area on the lake side of the hill, which in fact is a huge cliff rising above the lakeshore. The town as we know it today was built mostly between the 7th and 19th centuries. During the Byzantine period, Ohrid became a significant cultural and economic center, serving as an episcopal center of the Orthodox Church and as the site of the first Slavic university run by St. Kliment and St. Naum at the end of the 9th century. At the beginning of the 11th century, Ohrid briefly became the capital of the kingdom ruled by Car Samuil, whose fortress still presides over the city today. In 1979 and in 1980, Ohrid and Lake Ohrid were accepted as a Cultural and Natural World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. In fact, Ohrid is one of only 28 sites that are part of UNESCO's World Heritage that are both Cultural and Natural sites.
Ohrid in this period is the best tourist resort in Macedonia. It is the famous tourist place in the region with a lot of hotels, apartments, a lot of traditional restaurants and café, shops, entertainment. Ohrid during the summer period lives 24 hours.
Ohrid lake coast is 35km with beautifully sands beach, tourist attractions and entertainment. Temperature of the water in the lake is 25C degree and it is suitable for swimming, diving, yachting …..
For more information visit www.ohridinfo.mk
Festival program will be held on the main square in Ohrid.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE FESTIVAL FROM LAST YEAR YOU CAN SEE ON LINK:
13.00Arrivalin Ohrid after 13.00 and hotel accommodation, free activities (swimming in Ohrid Lake)
14.00 – 15.00 Lunch in hotel
19.00 – 21.00 Dinner in hotel
21.00 Welcome reception
08.00 -10.00 Breakfast,
10.30 -13.00 Ohrid sightseeing – visiting cultural monuments (St. Sofia church, Samoil fortress, Antique theatre, Plaosnik, St. Kaneo church, Bridge of wishes, Gallery of Icon, ..)
14.00-15.00 Lunch in hotel
18.00 – 19.00 Dinner in hotel
19.30. Ensembles parade (old town)
20.00. Official opening of the festival
- Welcome speech and firework
- Open air performance (festival evening)
- Dancing together
10.30 – 14.00 Visiting Stara carsia, oldest tree called – Cinar, Biljanini springs, Ohrid pearl , old paper manufactory,shopping or Visiting Struga city,
14.00 – 15.00 Lunch in hotel and free activities (sunbathing),
18.30 – 19.30 Dinner in hotel
20.00 Festival parade and Second festival evening or Macedonian evening party
08.00 - 10.00. Breakfast in hotel and free activities,
10.30 – 15.30 Cruising with boat on Ohrid Lake and visit most famous tourist resort St.Naum - culture place and swimming in one of the best sands beach located on the Ohrid coast,– (price 8 euros per person, launch package , dancing boat),
18.00 – 21.00 Dinner in hotel
21.00.- 00.00 Disco party with all participants, exchange presents, wine degustation and soft drink for the kids
11.00 Departure of the participants.
OPTIONAL – If you stay more days…
09.00 -10.00 Breakfast,
10.30 – 14.00 Visiting Struga city (house of Miladinovci brothers, river Crni Drim, Kalsita cave church ……),
14.00 – 15.00 Lunch in hotel and free activities,
19.00 – 20.00 Dinner in hotel
21.00. Festival evening in Struga city or Macedonian evening party
09.00 -10.00 Breakfast,
10.30 – 14.00 Free activities (sunbathing and swimming in Ohrid Lake, walking in the city square… ) or visiting Vevcani (ethno village),
14.00 – 15.00 Lunch in hotel and free activities,
20.00 – 21.00 Dinner in hotel
21.00.- 00.00 Beach party
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast,
09.00 – 14.00 Departure to Skopje city ( visiting monuments of Alexander of Macedon, museum, Macedonian GATE, Stone bridge…) (optional)
14.00 Departure from Skopje city
General rules :
- Every folklore group has the right to participate. Children's ensembles (2/3 of the participants must be 16 or younger), Youth ensembles (2/3 of the participants must be 25 or younger), adult ensembles (1/3 of the participants must be older than 25).
- Festival is not competitive festival.
- On the festival may participate children’s, youth and adults folklore groups, modern dance groups, vocal groups, instrumental groups. Age of the participants are not limited.
- The group should emphasies in which part will participate,
- It should be more of 5 groups for commpetitive part of the festival,
- The number of participants are limited (only 3 folk groups from each country for competitive and maximum 3 groups for non competitive),
- Each group should consist of most 60 members including dancers, managers and musicians,
- Ensemble should have prepared at least 2 folk dances, 10-15 minutes each with orchestra or CD. The performances will be in the evening hours so you can plan the day ahead and use it for visiting the historical part of the city and excursions.
- To send short CV and 2 – 3 photos from the group by mail,
- To bring a flag of the country,
- Folklore groups should have there own transport for arrival and departure.
- 67 Euro for 3 FB per person ( 3 nights with 3 meals per day)
- 87 Euro for 4 FB per person (4 nights with 3 meals per day (Full Board). It covers hotel accommodation with 3 meals per day in hotels and Vilas which are located on the coast of Ohrid Lake or in the center of the city in 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 bedrooms with own toilet and bathrooms……
Hotel Vila Fortuna ( in the center of the city)
Festival organizers provide:
- for 21 dancers – one gratis,
- certificates for attendance on the festival,
- souvenir and gift for each group,
- Welcome cocktail
- Disco party with drinks
- tourist guides for sightseeing of the town,
- drinks during the performance,
- Free parking
- reception in city hall,
- advertising of the festival (press conference, radio and tv channels, posters, brochures, flayers).
Personal responsibility and health insurance are within the other obligations of the groups. First Aid and Medical Hospital will be available, medical services must be covered by the group.
On your request, You can continue your stay in Ohrid. Price will be 23 Euro per day per person FB – price is special for the participants in festivals that we can provide. For additional days we will prepare special program for you. If you wish, we will include festival evening in other city
After Groups arrived in Hotel will be given detailed program of the festival.
The festival will organize the transport for the groups coming by plane by picking them up from Ohrid airport, during the festival days and back to the same Ohrid airport. You can also arrive through Skopje, Tirana or Thessaloniki Airport which are only 200 km from Ohrid. The cost of the transportation will be covered by the group and will be additionally agreed according to their number. We will also assist you in obtaining visa for Macedonia if necessary. Also, you can arrive in Ohrid airport by plane and we will organize transfer from the airport to the hotel free of charge.
All detailed information will be supply after your confirmation for participations.
In 2016 on this festival participated over 466 participants from 12 countries from Europe.
In 2017 on this festival participated over 473 participants from 14 countries from Europe.
In 2018 on this festival participated over 444 participants from 13 countries from Europe.
NUMBER OF SEATS ARE LIMITED ON 400 OR 10-11 GROUPS.