h pleasure we INVITE you (children, youth and adults groups) to participate on IV International folk – dance festival “OHRID PEARL” 30 April - 03 May, Ohrid, 2015
The intention of our invitation and the Festival light motive is to present the cultural tradition of different countries and to provide an opportunity for the members of groups to get together, to establish friendships and culture presentation trough dance and music.
Ohrid City – a mixture of rich history and modern life......
Ohrid is an immortal town on the mythical Balkan, a magical hill of Macedonia whose primordial pulsation links ancient and modern times forever... Ohrid has been a living town for 2400 years, notable for having 365 churches, one for each day of the year, and is referred to as the Macedonian Jerusalem. Archaeological finds indicate that Ohrid is one of the oldest human settlements in all of Europe. The lake itself is over three million years old. Ohrid in the past was known as Lychnidos - or, “the city of light.” Only much later, in 879 CE, was it renamed Ohrid. The name probably derives from the phrase “Oh-rid” – meaning roughly, “Oh, what a cliff!” It comes from the time when the town was limited in a small area on the lake side of the hill, which in fact is a huge cliff rising above the lakeshore. The town as we know it today was built mostly between the 7th and 19th centuries. During the Byzantine period, Ohrid became a significant cultural and economic center, serving as an episcopal center of the Orthodox Church and as the site of the first Slavic university run by St. Kliment and St. Naum at the end of the 9th century. At the beginning of the 11th century, Ohrid briefly became the capital of the kingdom ruled by Car Samuil, whose fortress still presides over the city today. In 1979 and in 1980, Ohrid and Lake Ohrid were accepted as a Cultural and Natural World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. In fact, Ohrid is one of only 28 sites that are part of UNESCO's World Heritage that are both Cultural and Natural sites.
Lake Ohrid – The Lake That Leaves You Breathless…….
Lake Ohrid is one of the world's oldest lakes, formed millions of years ago……. Lake Ohrid rightly deserves the name “Macedonia’s freshwater sea”. Not only for its warm water blue colour, which gains its intensity from the sky blue colour, but because of its size, this lake gives an impression of being a sea. With its unique flora and fauna the lake is one of the largest biological reserves in Europe. The earliest scientific studies, undertaken in the course of the 19th century, showed that, as one of the oldest lakes in the world, it has preserved primeval life - forms which no longer exist in other places or only exist as fossils. The importance of the lake was further emphasized when it was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1979 and when, in 2010, NASA decided to name one of Titan's lakes after Lake Ohrid.
Lake Ohrid is one of Europe’s deepest and according to most experts the oldest lake in Europe. The importance of the lake was further emphasized when it was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1979. Feel Ohrid for once in your life and you already know why you will return. For more information visit www.ohridinfo.mk Festival program will be held on the main square in Ohrid.
- 13.00.Arrival in Ohrid, , hotel accommodation,
- 14.00 – 15.00 Lunch in hotel
- 19.00 – 20.00 Dinner in hotel
- 21.00. Welcome reception
- 09.00 -11.00 Breakfast,
- 11.00 -14.00 Ohrid sightseeing – visiting cultural monuments (St.Sofia church, Samoil fortress, Antique theatre, Plaosnik, St. Kaneo church, Bridge of wishes …)
- 14.00 – 15.00 Lunch in hotel
- 18-19.00 Dinner in hotel
- 19.00. Ensembles parade (old town)
- 20.00. Official opening of the festival
- Welcome speech and firewall
- Open air performance
- Dancing together
- 09.00 -10.00 Breakfast,
- 11.00 – 15.30 Cruising with boat on Ohrid Lake, visit Museum on water and most famous tourist resort St.Naum monastery, culture place, –(price 7 euros per person, lunch packet on the boat),
- 18.00 – 19.30 Dinner in hotel
- 20.00 Social event, exchange presents,disco party
- 09.00 Breakfast
- 11.00 Departure of the participants
General rules :
- is a non-competitive sample of traditional and modern dances and music performed by folkloric groups.
- On the festival may participate children and youth folklore dance groups, modern dance groups, vocal groups, instrumental groups and soloists, as well as groups and performers from other art styles.
- The number of participants are limited (only 3 folk groups from each country),
- Each group should consist of most 50 members including dancers, managers and musicians,
- Ensemble should have prepared at least 2 folk dances, 10-15 minutes each with orchestra or CD. The performances will be in the evening hours so you can plan the day ahead and use it for visiting the historical part of the city and excursions.
- To send us short CV and photos of the group,
- To take a flag of the country,
- Folklore groups should have there own transport for arrival and departure,
Participation fee is 63 Euros 3 FB per person (4 nights with 3 meals per day (Full Board)). It covers hotel accommodation with 3 meals per day in 3*** hotels which are located on the coast of Ohrid Lake, in 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 bedrooms with own toilet and bathrooms and hotels in the centre of the city…… or 60 euro 3 HB (breakfast and dinner) … Visit: www.hotelprestol.com.mk, www.hoteldesaret.com.mk, www.hotelbeton.com.mk, www.galebiplaza.com.mk, www.hotelkocarev.com.mk, and others…
Festival organizers provide:
- for 21 dancers – one gratis,
- souvenir and gift for each group,
- Certificate for attendance,
- Welcome cocktail
- drinks during the performance,
- tourist guides for sightseeing of the town,
- free parking
- reception in city hall,
- advertising of the festival (press conference, radio and tv channels, posters)
Personal responsibility and health insurance are within the other obligations of the groups. First Aid and Medical Hospital will be available, medical services must be covered by the group.
On your request, You can continue your stay in Ohrid. Price will be 21 Euro per day per person FB – price is special for the participants in festivals that we can provide.
Organizers keep the right to change program of the festival. After Groups arrived in Hotel will be given detailed program of the festival and each group will have guide during festival.
After the festival finish organizers will send you DVD from the festival program for each group and photos. The copy right of all video materials and pictures are ownership of the Organization of the Festival.
The festival will organize the transport for the groups coming by plane by picking them up from Ohrid airport, during the festival days and back to the same Ohrid airport. You can also arrive through Skopje, Tirana or Thessaloniki Airport which are only 200 km from Ohrid. The cost of the transportation will be covered by the group and will be additionally agreed according to their number. We will also assist you in obtaining visa for Macedonia if necessary. Also, you can arrive by plane in Ohrid airport and we will organize free transport to the hotel.
By applying you confirm that you accept all festival conditions. All detailed information will be supply after your confirmation for participations.
In 2014 on this Festival participated over 263 (children’s, youth and adults) from 5 countries of South – East and central Europe.